2014 Kawasaki Vulcan® 1700 Nomad™ ABS
The Vulcan® 1700 Nomad™ ABS may look like it rolled out of the history books, but at it’s heart, the Nomad is a thoroughly modern motorcycle. Outfitted with a full-sized windshield, hard saddlebags, floorboards, backrest and standard cruise control, this Vulcan has everything needed to both stand out on the boulevard and follow the front wheel towards distant horizons. The low-slung seat makes maneuvering a breeze at the local bike night while the shape and padding of the saddle and pillion keep the rider and passenger comfortable during long days on the open road. Through it all, the pulse of the 1700cc V-twin wraps itself around your soul, enticing you to keep on riding long after the sunset has stopped reflecting in the Nomad’s silky two-tone paint.
• Height adjustable, full-sized, windshield provides classic style and optically correct view
• Weatherproof, lockable, color matched, top-opening hard saddlebags offer ample, easy to pack storage
• Deluxe passenger backrest with stylish chrome bracket and ergonomic grab handles for passenger comfort
• Powerful 1,700cc single crankpin V-twin offers great sound and impressive torque
• Kawasaki’s sophisticated K-ACT ABS system builds rider confidence by helping execute controlled, balanced braking
• Six-speed transmission for effortless acceleration and relaxed cruising at highway speeds
• Electronic cruise control maintains speed, reducing rider fatigue on long trips, and interfaces with the electronic throttle valve system for smooth operation
• Low 28.7-inch seat height enhances rider comfort and confidence
• Includes a 24 month limited factory warranty. Optional supplementary plans offer a maximum of 48 additional months of Kawasaki’s Protection Plus™ coverage—bumping the total possible warranty to an amazing SIX YEARS!
• Handlebar-mounted and optically correct, the adjustable windscreen is shaped for optimum airflow management without compromising the Nomad’s cruiser styling
• Strong, chrome-plated steel supports
• Two-position height
• Sub-windshield and deflectors further increase wind protection
• The sub-windshield covers the area between the windshield and headlight when the windshield is in the raised position, while fork-mounted deflectors help direct air away from the rider’s legs
Touring Seats and Passenger Backrest
• Sculpted rider and passenger seats offer all-day comfort and support
• Sturdy backrest with integrated passenger grab bars contributes to passenger confidence
• Passenger floorboards add extra comfort to the 2-up equation
Hard, Lockable Side Cases
• The Nomad features hard, lockable, top-opening side cases that each provide 10 gallons (38L) of sealed storage space for overnight touring
• Front and rear guards help protect the bike’s engine and hard side cases in the event of a tip-over
• Helmet locks are conveniently located on the left- and right-side saddlebag guards
Powerful 1,700cc V-twin engine
• Liquid-cooled, four valves per cylinder, fuel-injected 1,700cc 52-degree V-twin engine
• Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke helps deliver high levels of torque with a distinct V-twin feel
• Valve system uses a single overhead cam arrangement instead of pushrods for quicker revving and enhanced mid-high rpm power
• Semi-dry sump design allows a lower crankshaft placement and a longer piston stroke without increasing engine height
• Single-pin crank accentuates the engine’s V-twin character by providing stronger power pulses
• Large-capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
• Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially during low-load operation
• Dual mufflers, one on each side of the bike, allow maximum clearance for luggage
• Engine tuning offers superior acceleration in the 50 to 70 mph range
• Even in overdrive, the engine pulls strongly in this speed range, facilitating overtaking at highway speeds
Digital Fuel Injection
• The touring-oriented Nomad utilizes DFI® and exhaust systems tuned to reach peak torque and horsepower at a higher rpm than the engines used in standard Vulcan 1700 cruisers
On Board Diagnostics
• Onboard diagnostic system allows self-testing of the electronic systems on the Vulcan 1700
• System displays codes on the instrumentation, which can be read by owner using accessory manual
Electronic Throttle Valve System
• Fully electronic throttle actuation system enables the ECU to control the volume of intake air (via throttle valve angle) and fuel (via fuel injector timing) delivered to the engine
• Optimized fuel injector timing and throttle valve position results in accurate, powerful engine response
• Control of both fuel injection and airflow provides easy starting and precise cold-engine idle speed control
• From the rider’s perspective, the ETV works like a standard cable-operated throttle; the throttle grip is still connected to cables, so the feel at the grip is the same
• Twisting the throttle turns a pulley on the throttle body, which triggers the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) to send a signal to the ECU, which then modulates the throttle valves via a DC motor
• Accurate throttle position is relayed to the ECU by a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)
• APS and TPS send two sets of signals to the ECU for system redundancy in the unlikely event of a sensor failure
• Cruise control can be engaged and adjusted entirely from the right handlebar
• Cruise control can be activated in 3rd gear or above at any speed between 30 mph and 85 mph
• Pressure on the brake lever, clutch lever or rear brake pedal will automatically disengage the cruise control, as will manually rolling off the throttle
Six-speed Transmission / Final Drive
• Six-speed transmission with positive neutral finder
• 5th and 6th are overdrive gears for excellent fuel economy when cruising at highway speeds
• 28mm carbon fiber final drive belt has a tensile strength that’s 40 percent greater compared to current Kevlar belts, allowing the Vulcan 1700 to use a slim belt only 2mm wider than the Kevlar unit on the Vulcan 900
• Belt drive system is quiet, efficient and offers reduced maintenance compared to a chain
Light Handling Chassis
• The frame features a short wheelbase for optimal ergonomics and easy maneuverability
• Lightweight and slim, the frame minimizes the number of forged parts and trims any unnecessary metal. The only forged parts are areas that require additional strength: the down-tube joint, engine brackets, side-stand bracket, and rear fender/shock absorber bracket
• This compact design contributes to light handling and facilitates low-speed handling, especially maneuvers such as parking or U-turns
43mm Telescopic Fork
• Provides superb steering feedback
• 5.5 inches of travel for excellent ride quality
• Optimized damping and spring settings for a plush but controlled ride
Dual Adjustable Rear Air Shocks
• Air-adjustable shocks can be tuned to match varying rider and passenger loads
• 4-way rebound damping adjustments help the shocks compensate for changes in spring pressure
• Chrome shock covers contribute to the bike’s overall luxurious finish
9-Spoke Cast Wheels
• Allow the use of tubeless tires, and nicely complement the Nomad’s styling
• 130/90 front and 170/70 rear tires
• Tire choice and suspension settings selected augment the chassis’ light handling characteristics
Classic V-twin Styling
• Basic engine architecture positively impacts the V-twin’s overall appearance
• The line created by the top of the airbox and the cylinder heads forms a curved shape that continues to flow through the bike
• Deeply chromed engine covers have curved upper surfaces; their three-dimensional form adds volume and gives a high-quality appearance
• Cooling fin edges have a special NC treatment that makes them gleam in sunlight
• All the engine’s non-chromed parts have a matte black finish to accentuate the chrome
• The fuel tank’s hand-sculpted contours employ constantly varying radii, giving the bike a dynamic flowing style which is pleasing both to the eye and to the touch
• Elegantly shaped fuel tank contributes to the Nomad’s curvaceous figure
• Front fender design continues through the rear fender, which features an elegant LED taillight
• Ignition switch allows on-position key removal, which prevents keys from scratching the instrument cluster or tank while the bike is in operation
• Turning the ignition switch to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
• Multi-function LCD displays on the tank-mounted instrument cluster are controlled by switches on the right handle. Features include a gear-position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining range and average fuel consumption
• Liberal use of chrome on the engine, fender brackets, light stays, saddlebag accents and front and rear guards contrasts nicely with the bodywork’s deep, lustrous paint
Kawasaki Advanced Coactive-Braking Technology (K-ACT II) ABS
• Nomad ABS features Kawasaki’s sophisticated K-ACT II system, which helps riders to execute controlled, balanced braking. Designed to complement the riders’ brake inputs, the system distributes the ideal amount of brake pressure to maximize braking efficiency
• Low battery mode maintains ABS function while reducing signal frequency to conserve power when needed
• For increased controllability in tight corners and when executing U-turns, K-ACT’s coactive function does not engage when braking is initiated at speeds below 12 mph
• ABS function is disengaged at speeds below 4 mph
• Dual 300mm front disc brakes with four-piston calipers and a two-piston rear disc brake for sure, powerful stops
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52-deg. V-twin
- Displacement: 1,700cc / 103.7ci
- Bore x Stroke: 102 x 104mm
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Maximum Torque: 108 lb.-ft @ 2,750rpm
- Cooling System: Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Fuel Injection: Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: TCBI with Digital Advance
- Transmission: Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Final Drive: Belt
- Frame Type: Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone
- Rake/Trail: 30 deg. / 7.0 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 43mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.
- Front Tire Size: 130/90x16
- Rear Tire Size: 170/70x16
- Brakes, front / rear: Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers with Kawasaki Advanced Coactive Braking Technology (K-ACT II) ABS system / Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper with Kawasaki Advanced Coactive Braking Technology (K-ACT II) ABS system
- Overall length: 98.4 in.
- Overall width: 40.4 in.
- Overall height: 57.7 in.
- Ground Clearance: 5.5 in.
- Seat height: 28.7 in.
- Curb weight: 834 lb.
- Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Wheelbase: 65.6 in.
- Color Choices: Two-tone Flat Ebony / Pearl Flat Crystal White
- Warranty: 24 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, SOHC, four valve per cylinder, 52-deg. V-twin
- 1,700cc (103.7 cu.in.)
- Bore and Stroke
- 102 x 104 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies
- TCBI with Digital Advance
- Front Suspension
- 43mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers with Kawasaki Advanced Coactive Braking Technology (K-ACT II) ABS system
- Rear Brakes
- Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper with Kawasaki Advanced Coactive Braking Technology (K-ACT II) ABS system
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 65.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 28.7 in.
- 30 deg.
- 7.0 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.3 gal.
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 834 lb.
- Six-speed with overdrive and positive neutral finder
- Final Drive
- Two-tone Flat Ebony / Pearl Flat Crystal White
- 24 months